Boy decided that we were going to have dinner made of what he dug out of the cabinets today, so I started with a can of corn and a can of chick peas. It came out as a very monochromatic yellow, somewhat different Indian dish.
– Mustard seeds, some, in the oil at first.
– one block tofu, small cubes, fried for a little while till I got sick of it sticking.
– Before adding liquid, some tumeric, maybe 1/4-1/2 tsp. it needs the higher heat of frying.
– Add drained chick peas.
– Added corn liquid, and some extra water (1/4 cup extra?). And some butter. Butter makes everything better. Ghee would work too.
– Salt and Cayenne need to be in there too.
– Added the corn near the end, essentially to heat it up without cooking it to mush.
– At the end, put ground coriander, fenugreek, a bit of cardamom, a couple ground black peppercorns in hot oil and fry for 30 seconds to release the aromas, then mix in with the rest of it.
– A tsp of lemon juice at the end for a little brightness.
I served it over couscous, but any grain would work.
This surprised me for a 15 minute too tired to cook anything night, especially since I didn’t really know what I was going to make until I was about halfway through. Good enough to write it down so that I have a chance of doing it again.No comments